People Showed Us Stuff from Old Relationships They Couldn't Throw Away


It's important to cherish the memories, even if it means holding on to a record with the words "FUCK YOU" carved into it.

Like all good things – at least, all things that start out good but finish in a toxic pit of misery – most relationships come to an end. When they do, you're usually left with some memories, some lessons learned and a box of junk – stuff your ex gave you, or stuff they just couldn't be bothered to pick up after it all ended in tears. Depending on how painful the breakup was, you might want to chuck that box at some point, or douse it in gasoline and set it ablaze. But chances are that, before you finally do, you'll snatch out that one little thing you can't bear to part with. A card, a book or a shirt that looked great on you.

We asked people from cities around Europe to show us the stuff they've held onto long after a relationship ended.

Bugsy,Musician, London, United Kingdom

Photo by Chris Bethell

I've kept a rare Gaslight Anthem record on vinyl that's not available online, on CD or on Spotify. It's coloured red and it's got the words "fuck you" scratched into it.

My ex-girlfriend originally bought it as a gift before we broke up, but decided to give it to me as a parting gift. At first I was like, "Oh, fantastic, thank you very much," and then she apologised and said, "Sorry, I've carved 'fuck you' into it." I felt extremely emotional when she gave it to me, knowing the soreness she was feeling was because of me. But also, strangely, it made me smile, because it reminded me of how well she knew me.

I've never thought of throwing it away. The good times we had were good times regardless, and although carving "fuck you" into a record seems quite spiteful, it reminds me of the nature of relationships, the nature of humans and how emotional we can be. It's also a symbol of forgiveness – I totally forgive her for what she put me through, and I hope she does the same.

Emma, Artist, London, United Kingdom

I wear this watch every day. It was a present from a girl I was dating – the first girl I ever dated. I was living a very heteronormative life before her, but then suddenly I met her and she became my girlfriend. We’re still friends now. This was the last gift I got from her and it was the first time I got something from a lover I really liked.

We broke up over Christmas in 2013. There wasn't one reason, really – but it was partly that I lived in London while she lived in the Netherlands. It was complicated – I'm a complicated person to be with. I don't associate the watch with her on a daily basis, it's really mine now. But I do sometimes realise it was from when we were together.

www.lastdon.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘It’s all about relationships and being that positive role model for the kids that need us the most’

The best advice for the three most common coronavirus relationship issues

Feeling Trapped or Abandoned: When Relationships Run Hot or Cold